How I Passed the NYSTCE EAS Exam on the First Try (2024)

 *Biggest sigh of relief ever*


I knew the NYSTCE exams wouldn't be easy, but I initially didn't have a lot of stress or worry about them. That is, until every teacher I work with cringed when I mentioned having to take the EAS exam. They all made comments about barely passing it, running out of time, having to take it multiple times, and how the content was dry, boring, and eons harder than the academic exams.

And then I had a lot of stress and worry.

I panicked a little - rabidly combing the internet for resources or for someone online to say, "hey, this is what works and this other thing was a waste of time and this is what really, really helps."

But no such luck. I started to feel like study materials for this exam must have been scrubbed from the internet - most of the results were for expensive courses and study guides behind a paywall. So, that's where I come in.

Here are the resources I used and the things I learned through the process that I'm going to bless you with now so you can take a deep breath and trust that you've got this. (You do! Step one: take that deep breath.)




1. The practice exam you can buy with your registration was the very best study resource.

The questions were so similar that I noticed nearly identical ones on the actual exam. You get a full report of the areas you did best in as well as the details of the questions you got wrong so you know exactly what to spend time on. This is the place where spending money really is worth it - the exams are only like $11 (or in that ballpark) and that is well, well worth it!



2. Take that practice exam about 2 days before the actual exam.

Not the day before - you'll tire out your brain. Not a week before - you won't remember it. Two to three days is the sweet spot: it's fresh in your mind, but you have time to recover. You can also make yourself some flashcards or a study guide for the questions you got wrong and can focus your (light) studying on those details in the remaining days.



3. The next greatest resource is THIS ebook. (source)

The details in this book are incredibly smart and helpful! There are things I hung onto after reading this book and taking notes that I used on every other practice test and the exam itself. You'll get to know keywords to spot in questions that are red or green flags, tips for writing the constructed responses (such as, fixing the lesson plan not the student!), and it's written in an entertaining way that makes you actually want to read it. That's pretty rare for a study guide!! Don't skip this one!!!!




4. The next best study source is the actual study guide on the NYSTCE website.

These questions are very similar to the actual practice exam and the real exam. They're formatted and worded the same way with the same content. I found that working through this a few times, spaced out with a week or two in between (yes, I studied for a while after they spooked me..lol) was really great practice. The site gives you explanations for the answers as well to help you understand similar questions in the future.




5. This video was also helpful!

The playful nature of this teacher makes it easier to watch than some other dry study videos, and he has some good tips and reassurances for approaching the exam with confidence. I saw a lot of fellow EAS-takers rave about this video for being a great resource for them.




6. If flashcards are your thing, here is a set.

I did go through these, but drilling definitions and phrases isn't really what works for me. My best method of study is taking practice tests with similar questions and really digging into the ones I didn't get right. Still not a bad idea to flip through some terminology and it's nice to have a ready-made set!




7. "Those" big study guide/exam class companies are not what you think. (Don't do it!)

You might think that investing in those resources is worth not risking having to take this exam again, but what I found out after I let them stress me the heck out (you know, the one that seems to have a study guide for everything....all that yellow in their branding that's all over Pinterest? Not naming any names...) is that they aren't actual educators. They aren't teachers or professors or school admin. They're people (and sometimes AI) who are given a set of content, terms, and laws that are paid to write questions that contain those things.

I took some of their free practice questions and BOMBED. The questions were unlike any of the other resources I mentioned above, and I strongly suspected they wanted my panic over failing to inspire an impulse purchase of their course. (Later confirmed, but again...keeping it anonymous, here.) Don't let them fool you! I was convinced I was not nearly as prepared as I thought I was and that I must have been doing something wrong because I didn't understand their questions at all. There's a reason their questions seem so different. I can tell you with confidence and experience that those types of questions ARE NOT WORTH YOUR TIME. (or money)




8. There's an education law that supports homeless students.

Which is awesome! But for some reason, there was nothing in my college program or in/on any of these study resources that mentioned it. I bring this up only because if you find yourself confronted with a question about an education law that you haven't heard of before, the questions tend to be intuitive if you know general education laws (I mean, you should, if you're at the point of this exam!). So don't panic if you're confronted with a complicated-sounding law or regulation. Trust your education knowledge!




9. You know, the usual exam tips.

Get a good night's sleep the night before. Make sure you eat before you go. Don't cram the night before and exhaust your brain. Utilize some calming techniques. Take care of yourself so you're in the best shape possible to tackle this beast!




10. If you qualify for accommodations - get them!

They are actually pretty fair with accommodations and will approve things like extra time on exams, a separate room, the ability to read questions out loud, instrumental music, and even allow you to take in sensory items like a blanket or pillow. Look into them if you qualify - you deserve to be supported!!





I don't know if it's weird to share your grade (is it? Is that like...you don't talk about salary thing?), but following these tips, my score was a 546. (I believe 520 is passing, but there's some sort of safety net for grades in the 500-520 range but I don't really fully understand what it means for you if you get a grade in that range? And I think the max grade is 600.) So, these tips work!

Sending you lots of luck, calm test-taking vibes, and confidence. You got this! xo

Comments